If your Instagram account is for your small business, chances are you’re looking to attract Instagram followers and customers from your city or general area. Promoting your brand to the world is great, but sometimes you need to build your customer base in a specific area.
That’s where Instagram locations come in. If you haven’t been using locations on Instagram, you’re missing out on an excellent opportunity to increase your customer base and sales in your area. Here’s why.
Why Adding a Location to Your Posts is Important
- Tell your followers and potential customers where you are. Some might argue that your followers can just Google your business. But why make it harder for them to find you? You should add your location to every post so your Instagram followers won’t have to use another app to find out where you are.
- Get more customers from your area. Whether you live in a big city or a small town, Instagram is a great way to get more local customers. There may be people in your city who may not be aware that your business is on Instagram.
- Followers can get directions to your business within Instagram. Who knew Instagram doubled as a GPS? Your followers can use the map of your location and use it to get directions, essentially bringing customers right to your door!
- Your Instagram followers can tag your business in their posts. Word of mouth – or should we say, word of post? – goes a long way in building your customer base. If your followers tag your business, their followers will see it and might decide to come to your business as well. This process can repeat itself exponentially until your business is a household name in your city.
How to Add a Location to Instagram
There are two ways to add a location to Instagram. You’ll want to make sure your GPS or location services are turned on. You can either do it before you post, or you can add it after you’ve already posted. We’ll go over both options here.
- Upload your photo or video to Instagram. Apply as many filters and/or effects as you want before moving to the next step.
- Click “Add Location.”
- Search for your location and choose the appropriate one.
- You’re all done! Click “Share.”
Here’s how to add a location to posts you’ve already shared.
- Choose the post you want to add the location to and open it.
- Click the “…” above the post, then click “Edit.”
- Choose “Add Location.”
- Search for your location and choose the appropriate one.
You can also edit and remove locations from posts using the method above.
Tips for Using Your Location
- Encourage your customers to check in at your location. Hosting a competition or giveaway on Instagram is a great way to do this. The key is to give your Instagram followers some kind of incentive to check in to your business in their own posts. You may also want to consider offering your followers a discount for checking in on Instagram.
- Cross promote. If you’re on Facebook or Twitter and you’ve decided to host a contest or offer a discount for Instagram check-ins, cross promote your Instagram account on your other networks. This will share your account with even more people, who may not be aware that your business is on Instagram.
- Go live. Got an exciting event happening at your location? Share it with live video! Live video is considered exclusive content. If you add your location to the live video, your Instagram followers will be able to locate you easily.
- If your business isn’t a location on Instagram, add your city instead. Although rare, your business might not appear in the locations on Instagram. Since you can no longer add custom locations to your Instagram posts, you won’t be able to manually add it either. You can always add your city as your location. If your location isn’t listed on Instagram, but it appears on Facebook, you can import it.
- Reuse user generated content on your own account. When your Instagram followers tag your business, you can repost their content. This will show your customers that you appreciate them, and it’ll also show new or potential customers that your customers love doing business with you.
Using Location with Instamacro
Did you know that Instamacro has a location feature too? We don’t like to brag, but we think it takes customer targeting to the next level. Here’s the run-down on how it works:
- Instamacro will automatically like posts tagged in your city. Let’s say your business is in NYC. Our location feature will automatically like all photos uploaded and tagged in NYC. This will put your business in front of thousands of people who are in your city right now.
- You can add as many locations as you want. Looking to bring in more customers from the surrounding areas? No problem! You can add as many locations as you want with our feature.
- Add specific businesses that are similar to yours. Let’s say your friend runs an auto shop, and your business sells car parts. Add your friend’s business to your locations on Instamacro, and you’ll like every post tagged at their business.
- Add your own location. You can even add your own location to Instamacro if you want. If you don’t have time to like and comment on each post tagged at your location, let Instamacro do the hard work for you.
- You choose when and how it runs. Instamacro automates your Instagram while keeping you in full control. You don’t have to keep Instamacro running all the time if you don’t want to. You can customize the speed at which Instamacro runs, blacklist accounts and hashtags, or set it up to run and pause at automatic intervals.
The locations feature on Instagram is revolutionary. Your location on Instagram tells a story – your story. It reflects your customer satisfaction and engagement, and it helps people find your business.
But you can’t run a business and be on Instagram all the time, which is why you need a powerful automation tool like Instamacro. Instamacro’s location feature can help you automate locations on your account and build your customer base for you. Curious to see how it works? Try it out